From Tapestries MUCK
This program displays 'noises' in a room. They are triggered by activity, so rooms that are empty and unused do not use up any processor or disk activity. It tries to an absolute minimum of checking in the beginning, so high activity rooms will bug out. All in all, I expect it to be less resourse consuming than a filter or puppet.
Setting it up
- _listen:99819 This calls this program upon something happening in a room.
- noise/nonetill: maintained by program, no need to set. is used to prevent the noises from triggering themselves.
- noise/delay: number of seconds between events. default is 180, maximum is 600 [10m].
- noise/chance: chance of an event going off after between is up. if 20, there is a 1 in 20 chance of an event. if 100, a one in a hundred chance. it must be 1 or greater.
- noise/sleep: number of seconds to sleep after trigger and before display. This makes the events seem to just 'happen'. Maximum is a value of 60 [1m].
- noise/list: name of default list of events, as well as a way to specify other lists of noises. use lsedit to add and edit the lists. lsedit here = noise/list for the default noise list, and @set here = noise/list:xxxxx to set the list of noises to xxxxx. lsedit here = xxxxx to edit it the new list of noises. xxxxx is just an example, use whatever you wish.
(noises.muf, by Verin, June 1993, modified March 1994 and Dec 2000)